Federal marshals serve inspection warrant to NJ food company

first_img Michael Chappell, the FDA’s acting commissioner of regulatory affairs, said in the press release that the FDA’s action against the company was warranted because the company wasn’t willing to share information the FDA needs to ensure food safety. “The FDA uses all appropriate legal means necessary to obtain information and fully investigate firms or individuals who put the health of consumers at risk,” he said. Apr 8 FDA press release In 2007 following a spate of foodborne illness outbreaks, the Bush administration unveiled a new food protection plan that proposed giving the FDA the authority to require companies to recall unsafe foods. On Feb 9 New Jersey officials placed an embargo on Westco’s distribution facility to block the company from sending out potentially contaminated peanut products. The FDA said it hasn’t received any reports of illnesses or deaths linked to Westco products. Sebastian Cianci, FDA spokesman, told CIDRAP News that the firm cooperated with the federal warrant and turned over records. “But it will be some time before we know what information we can glean from the documents,” he said, adding that investigators hope the records will reveal the firm’s customers so that the FDA can notify them that they may have received Westco products that contained ingredients from PCA. The company, Westco Fruit and Nuts Inc, had also refused a Mar 23 FDA request to recall the products it made with peanut ingredients from PCA. Companies are required by law to allow the FDA to inspect the company facilities and access distributions records, but the agency doesn’t have the authority to order mandatory recalls, the FDA said today in a press release. The company also rebuffed the FDA’s Mar 26 request for distribution records. The FDA today repeated its Mar 23 warning for consumers to check their homes for Westco products, dispose of the ones they find, and wash their hands after handling the products. The FDA said between Nov 19, 2008, and Dec 30, 2008, Westco receive three shipments of oil-roasted salted redskin jumbo peanuts from PCA’s Blakely, Ga., facility. Westco repacked the peanuts into different size configurations and used them in a variety of mixed nut and trail mix products until early February 2009. See also: The outbreak, which involved Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium, has sickened at least 691 people from 46 states and possibly contributed to nine deaths. Nearly 4,000 products containing PCA peanuts or peanut ingredients have so far have been recalled in what is shaping up to become the nation’s largest ever ingredient-driven foodborne illness outbreak. Nov 6, 2007, CIDRAP News story “US food safety plan calls for FDA recall power” “They are asking me to commit suicide based on presumption,” he said. “They have no proof that anyone got sick from eating whole redskin peanuts roasted in oil.” He told ABC that he had the nuts tested at an FDA-approved lab and that they showed no evidence of contamination. Jacob Moradi, Westco’s owner, told ABC News on Mar 23 that his products were safe and that a recall would destroy his business. Sending US Marshals to obtain distributions records doesn’t happen very often, Cianci said. “It is safe to say this is an uncommon event.”  Apr 8, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – US Marshals today executed an inspection warrant at a New Jersey fruit and nut company after it refused to give the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) access to its distribution records related to peanut products received from Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), a Virginia-based company linked to the recent national Salmonella outbreak.last_img read more

WWE Money in the Bank: Jinder Mahal beats Randy Orton to retain WWE championship

first_imgIndia’s Jinder Mahal defeated Randy Orton to retain his WWE championship at Smackdown’s exclusive pay-per-view Money in the Bank at St. Louis on Sunday.The self-proclaimed ‘Modern day Maharaja’ gave a ‘Khallas’ — a variation of the ‘Full Nelson Slam’ to finish off the 14-time champion and get the three count.Orton, who was distracted by the Singh Brothers went on a rampage outside the ring as he hit them off with RKO’s and made sure there’s no more distraction coming his way. But, when he returned to the ring, Mahal hit his finisher to retain his championship.WWE PhotoTalking about his victory at the Talking Smack — a post match show — he said that it was a great feeling.”It almost felt as good as the night I won the WWE championship”He was also quick to point out that Orton’s mistake itself cost him the match.”But as far as Randy (Orton), I just want to say that he is a 14-time WWE champion and he made a rookie mistake. I would expect better from him. He has someone in the ring like me…I’m a dangerous dangerous competitor and he turned his back on me and that’s exactly why he lost and why I’m the champion,” he said.The 30-year-old also said that his aim is to win the most number of titles in the history of the WWE.”When Randy Orton was WWE champion for the first time, I was in high school. I’m not even entering my prime and that’s a scary scary thought. I’m only getting better every week…every week I improve in the ring and I intend on being a long time champion.advertisement”I’m going to beat Randy Orton, John Cena and Ric Flair’s record because I’m the hardest working man in the entire WWE,” Mahal said.”If someone outworks me, I’d give him the WWE championship but until then the Maharaja will reign,” he added.”I am dangerous, dangerous competitor and @RandyOrton turned his back on me… that’s why I’m CHAMPION!” – @JinderMahal #TalkingSmack #MITB pic.twitter.com/IgcoyEpPtL- WWE (@WWE) June 19, 2017last_img read more

Pumas sign Cubo from Dynamo

first_imgTransfers Pumas sign Erick ‘Cubo’ Torres from Houston Dynamo Jon Arnold Click here to see more stories from this author @ArnoldcommaJon Last updated 1 year ago 01:50 1/26/18 FacebookTwitterRedditcopy Comments(0) Erick Cubo Torres Houston Dynamo Troy Taormina Transfers Pumas Pumas v Juárez Juárez Copa MX Liga MX MLS After leading the Dynamo in goals but falling off in the second half of the season, Torres is headed back to Liga MX “El Cubo” is returning to Mexico.Guadalajara native Erick Torres has signed with Pumas, the Mexico City club announced Wednesday, moving from the Houston Dynamo for an undisclosed fee. Houston confirmed the deal on Thursday.“We thank Erick for his contributions to the Houston Dynamo over the last three years,” Dynamo general manager Matt Jordan said in a club release. “We wish him all the best at Pumas.” Article continues below Editors’ Picks Lyon treble & England heartbreak: The full story behind Lucy Bronze’s dramatic 2019 Liverpool v Man City is now the league’s biggest rivalry and the bitterness is growing Megan Rapinoe: Born & brilliant in the U.S.A. A Liverpool legend in the making: Behind Virgil van Dijk’s remarkable rise to world’s best player “I’m happy to return to Mexican soccer, to return with an important team like Pumas,” Torres told Televisa. “I’m coming here to work, to train very hard, that’s something that I’m known for, the desire I have and I think Pumas also is known for that, for having players who have desire.”There’s a fan base that supports the team well, it’s always there for the players, supporting them 100 percent. I’m here for that, to give everything, to enjoy this experience at this club that’s one of the grandes. I’m very happy to be here.”Torres was the Dynamo’s top scorer last season with 14 goals but scored just three times after July 1 and lost his grip on a starting spot. Colombian forward Mauro Manotas and Honduras international Alberth Elis both added 10 goals for the Dynamo last season, and the club felt comfortable shopping the designated player. A deal with Veracruz fell through earlier in January with Torres telling reporters this week that he was ready to dedicate himself to Houston.Instead, Pumas came through with a late bid to add depth to its squad. Los Auriazules sit atop the Liga MX table after three weeks but don’t have to think back far to remember needing a forward. Chilean star Nicolas Castillo was injured in the previous campaign and found the back of the net just 14 times. They now have added depth, though the 25-year-old is yet to prove himself in Liga MX. After a standout campaign with Chivas USA in 2014 during which he scored 15 goals, Torres returned to Guadalajara to play for Chivas. He made five appearances in the 2015 Clausura and scored twice but moved on to Houston as a designated player in the summer of 2015. Torres briefly headed back to Mexico, making three appearances on loan with Cruz Azul. La Maquina declined the option to buy him at the end of the loan and he returned to Texas. He feels that this time he will be able to make a mark in the league.¡Bienvenido a tu nueva casa, @erickestefano15! ¡Bienvenido a Pumas!#PorNuestraHistoria #SoyDePumas pic.twitter.com/cX5eEvYyhK— PUMAS (@PumasMX) January 25, 2018″It’s the best moment of my career, the best time of my personal life as well,” he said. “I just turned 25, I have experience, experience with the national team, with the youth national teams, with experience at important clubs and I think I come at a good age to do big things. I’m going to take advantage of this opportunity and do things well with hard work.”The move was announced Wednesday night after Torres spoke with Televisa already wearing Pumas colors during the club’s cup match against Juarez.last_img read more