Federal marshals serve inspection warrant to NJ food company

first_img Michael Chappell, the FDA’s acting commissioner of regulatory affairs, said in the press release that the FDA’s action against the company was warranted because the company wasn’t willing to share information the FDA needs to ensure food safety. “The FDA uses all appropriate legal means necessary to obtain information and fully investigate firms or individuals who put the health of consumers at risk,” he said. Apr 8 FDA press release In 2007 following a spate of foodborne illness outbreaks, the Bush administration unveiled a new food protection plan that proposed giving the FDA the authority to require companies to recall unsafe foods. On Feb 9 New Jersey officials placed an embargo on Westco’s distribution facility to block the company from sending out potentially contaminated peanut products. The FDA said it hasn’t received any reports of illnesses or deaths linked to Westco products. Sebastian Cianci, FDA spokesman, told CIDRAP News that the firm cooperated with the federal warrant and turned over records. “But it will be some time before we know what information we can glean from the documents,” he said, adding that investigators hope the records will reveal the firm’s customers so that the FDA can notify them that they may have received Westco products that contained ingredients from PCA. The company, Westco Fruit and Nuts Inc, had also refused a Mar 23 FDA request to recall the products it made with peanut ingredients from PCA. Companies are required by law to allow the FDA to inspect the company facilities and access distributions records, but the agency doesn’t have the authority to order mandatory recalls, the FDA said today in a press release. The company also rebuffed the FDA’s Mar 26 request for distribution records. The FDA today repeated its Mar 23 warning for consumers to check their homes for Westco products, dispose of the ones they find, and wash their hands after handling the products. The FDA said between Nov 19, 2008, and Dec 30, 2008, Westco receive three shipments of oil-roasted salted redskin jumbo peanuts from PCA’s Blakely, Ga., facility. Westco repacked the peanuts into different size configurations and used them in a variety of mixed nut and trail mix products until early February 2009. See also: The outbreak, which involved Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium, has sickened at least 691 people from 46 states and possibly contributed to nine deaths. Nearly 4,000 products containing PCA peanuts or peanut ingredients have so far have been recalled in what is shaping up to become the nation’s largest ever ingredient-driven foodborne illness outbreak. Nov 6, 2007, CIDRAP News story “US food safety plan calls for FDA recall power” “They are asking me to commit suicide based on presumption,” he said. “They have no proof that anyone got sick from eating whole redskin peanuts roasted in oil.” He told ABC that he had the nuts tested at an FDA-approved lab and that they showed no evidence of contamination. Jacob Moradi, Westco’s owner, told ABC News on Mar 23 that his products were safe and that a recall would destroy his business. Sending US Marshals to obtain distributions records doesn’t happen very often, Cianci said. “It is safe to say this is an uncommon event.”  Apr 8, 2009 (CIDRAP News) – US Marshals today executed an inspection warrant at a New Jersey fruit and nut company after it refused to give the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) access to its distribution records related to peanut products received from Peanut Corporation of America (PCA), a Virginia-based company linked to the recent national Salmonella outbreak.last_img read more

Indonesia’s retail sales tumble to biggest fall since 2008

first_imgThe central bank projected the retail sales index in the second quarter to contract 17.3 percent yoy, compared to contraction of 1.9 percent in the this year’s first quarter and 4.2 percent growth in the second quarter of last year.According to the respondents of the survey, retail sales will pick up in the next three to six months following the reopening of the economy, which is expected to boost the public’s purchasing power.The survey also indicated that inflation pressures will cease between August and November, with the price expectation index (IEH) in those months to stand at 138.6 and 142.5 respectively, lower than 162.6 and 146.4 in July and October this year.Indonesia recorded the lowest annual inflation rate since 2000 in June, slightly below the central bank’s target range. The consumer price index (CPI) was up 1.96 percent yoy in June, a 20-year low and below Bank Indonesia’s target range of between 2 and 4 percent for the year. Indonesia’s retail sales index contracted by 20.6 percent in May, the biggest dive since 2008, dragged by plunging clothes sales, as well as cultural and recreational spending, a Bank Indonesia (BI) survey released on Wednesday has shown.The contraction is steeper than in April, when retail sales in the country shrank 16.9 percent year-on-year (yoy), following the introduction of large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in April and May to curb the spread of COVID-19.“The retail sales performance will improve in June despite still being in a contraction phase,” the central bank stated in the survey. Topics :center_img The central bank projected the drop in sales to slow to 14.4 percent in June thanks to higher sales of food and beverage, as well as vehicle fuels, as Indonesia gradually reopened the economy.According to the survey, spending on clothes in May fell 74 percent yoy, while recreational spending fell by 53.7 percent yoy and vehicle fuels fell by 45.4 percent yoy.The coronavirus pandemic has battered the Indonesian economy this year, with the government expecting full-year growth to reach only 1 percent under a baseline scenario or for the economy to contract 0.4 percent under a worst-case scenario.Indonesia booked its lowest GDP growth in 19 years in the first quarter at 2.97 percent, with the COVID-19 outbreak pressuring people to stay at home, thereby disrupting economic activity.last_img read more

Disappointed South Africa denies skimping on Games budget

first_img(REUTERS) – South Africa’s government has expressed disappointment at the decision to strip Durban of the right to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, saying the budget it had guaranteed for the event was sufficient.The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) said on Monday it was seeking a new host because the coastal city had failed to deliver on the promises it had made in its bid, including on governance, venues, funding and risk management.But South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Fikile Mbalula, said the financial demands of the CGF were excessive, and that in a tough economic climate the country would not leave itself exposed to an “open-ended guarantee” on the event’s budget.He said the government disagreed with the CGF’s statement, while respecting its decision as the rights holder.“Our country is regrettably not in a position to make huge financial commitments given the current competing socio-economic needs and global economic downturn,” he told reporters yesterday.“In the interests of fiscal discipline and financial prudency, our government has considered all options and remains confident that we have acted in the best interest of South Africa.”Durban missed deadlines last November to sign the host city contract, establish an organising committee and make contracted payments to the CGF.Mbalula said the government had approved a budget of 4.32 billion rand (£270.08 million) which it believed was ample, using the country’s hosting of the All Africa Games 18 years ago as a yardstick.“The 1999 All Africa Games are comparable in size, the number of athletes, the number of technical officials and the duration, to the planned Commonwealth Games of 2022,” Mbalula said.“South Africa successfully hosted the All Africa Games with a budget of 252 million rand. Should it be compounded at 6 percent per annum over a period of 21 years, it will amount to 808 million rand in 2022.“The actual cost of the (All Africa) Games is an illustration that a multi-code sport event can be successfully hosted within an affordable budget.”Birmingham and Liverpool have expressed an interest in stepping in to replace Durban in 2022. The 2018 event will be held on Australia’s Gold Coast.last_img read more