But in its affidavit filed this week the police are yet to disclose on whose orders and by whom were the crucial evidence destroyed.Ninteen PAC members allegedly abducted 42 Muslims from the Hashimpura mohalla of Meerut on May 22, 1987 in a truck and took them to a nearby canal in Muradnagar of Ghaziabad, where they were gunned down and their bodies dumped in the canal.In March 21, 2015, the Tis Hazari court acquitted all the accused in the Hashimpura massacre case due to “insufficient evidence.” The UP government challenged the acquittal in the Delhi High Court, which is being heard by the Justice Mittal bench.Contradictory affidavitThe UP police also contradicted its last affidavit and gave a different date and year in which the papers were “weeded out.”In February last year the UP police had said “…all the details of the case were weeded out on April 1, 2006. Hence, it is impossible to make them available.”But in its latest affidavit they declared that the documents were weeded out on April 20, 1993.“That the general diary for the period from January 1, 1987 to December 31, 1987 of the local police contending the information about deployment of police troops within respective police station was weeded out on April 20, 1993 as per procedure, as the same was not required for any investigation or inquiry,” the affidavit said.According to Vrinda Grover, who is representing the National Human Rights Commission, due to the continuous attempts of the State to “protect” those who destroyed evidence of the massacre case, “the honourable court has accepted our submission that police be directed to file a consolidated affidavit making it clear on whose orders and by whom were the crucial case papers destroyed.”Ms Grover said the manner in which the UP government filed the affidavits seemed “an exercise in obfuscation.” Months after the Uttar Pradesh police had declared that they destroyed crucial documents relating to the Hashimpura massacre case while the trial was still going on, the police are yet to disclose on whose orders and by whom were the case papers “weeded out.”Police admit lapseIn an affidavit filed in February last year before the Delhi High Court where the Hashimpura massacre case in going on, the State police accepted that they had destroyed documents “after expiry of their prescribed period.”The papers could have helped prove the involvement of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) personnel in the Hashimpura massacre of 1987.Following the affidavit, the bench headed by Justice Geeta Mittal had asked the police to disclose the details of the “weeding out” process of the crucial case papers.
Senior Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut on Wednesday claimed there was a “consensus” between the BJP and his party before the Maharashtra Assembly elections on sharing the chief minister’s post.Amid the stalemate continuing over government formation in the state, Mr. Raut told reporters here that no fresh proposal has been received from the BJP or sent to it.He claimed farmers and the working class want a Shiv Sena chief minister and have hopes and expectations from the Uddhav Thackeray-led party.To a question on when there would be a consensus on the chief minister’s post, the Rajya Sabha member said, “There was a consensus on the post before elections.”Ruling out any new proposal for government formation, Mr. Raut reiterated that the Shiv Sena expects implementation of what was decided and agreed upon before the elections.“Why waste time on new proposals. We want a discussion on what was agreed upon earlier. No new proposal has been received or sent,” he said.On the possibility of imposition of President’s rule in the state, Mr. Raut said, “We will not be responsible for it. Those conspiring to do this are insulting the people’s mandate.”He said wherever Uddhav Thackeray and his son Aaditya Thackeray, who won the state polls from Worli seat in Mumbai, were touring to review crop losses due to unseasonal rains, the farmers and working class were looking at the party with hopes and expectations.“All are eager to have chief minister from the Shiv Sena,” he said.Mr. Raut refused to respond to a question on whether the NCP has agreed to share the chief minister’s post. “We will talk about it,” he said.The Sharad Pawar-led NCP on Tuesday said a political alternative can be worked out in the state if the Shiv Sena declared that it had snapped ties with the BJP.Sources in the NCP said their party wants Arvind Sawant, the lone Shiv Sena minister in the Union government, to resign before going ahead further with the Sena.There has been no headway in government formation after results of the state polls were declared on October 24.The BJP, which won 105 seats, and the Shiv Sena, which bagged 56 seats, are locked in a bitter tussle over sharing of the chief minister’s post and ministerial portfolios in new government, even 13 days after the Assembly poll verdict handed them enough seats to cobble up a coalition government.They won 161 seats together in the 288-member House, much above the halfway mark of 145.Besides, the opposition NCP won 54 seats while the Congress got 44 seats.
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.