This one’s memorable, historic – Clarke

first_imgLast year Calabar High matched their best ever winning streak at the annual Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletic Championships, when they won their fourth successive crown. On Saturday, the Red Hills Road-based school lifted the Mortimer Geddes Trophy for the fifth time on the bounce, when they beat away the challenge of perennial rivals Kingston College (KC) to gain their 26th hold. For head coach, Clarke, last year was his first time winning four straight and after extending it to five-in-a-row on Saturday, the tactician described the victory as ‘memorable’ and says plans are in place for the school to go on and claim a sixth straight championship. “This is a memorable one, very historic. The school in its history has never done five straight before. KC is a talented team, very well coached, but today (Saturday) was our day. But that’s championships for you,” Clarke commented amid the team’s celebrations on the running track. “But it’s not so much for me, it’s for the school. They have never gone five straight, so that’s historic. For me it’s also quite an achievement and I am quite pleased by the success. “We are always planning ahead, like three years ahead so it’s quite a possibility,” he said about winning next year. 15 TITLES Clarke has won a combined 15 Boys’ Champs titles with three different schools. He won his first championship with St Jago in 1988; then moved to Jamaica College where he won seven titles. He won his first double in 1991-92 with the Old Hope Road-based school and his first triple with the ‘Dark Blues’ from 1998-2000. He joined his alma mater, Calabar, in 2003 and saw them to back-to-back titles in 2007 and 2008. Last year he claimed his first four-peat and now he has won five straight titles for the first time. “I am humbled by the success and I give God thanks for it as well,” he told The Gleaner. Calabar finished with 287.50 points, well clear of KC, 250, and JC, 227.50.last_img read more

ExxonMobil discovers more oil offshore Guyana

first_imgUnited States oil giant ExxonMobil on Thursday announced positive results from its Payara-1 well offshore Guyana.The Texas-based oil and gas company said the Payara is the second oil discovery on the Stabroek Block and was drilled in a new reservoir. The Payara-1 well targeted similar aged reservoirs that were proven successful at the company’s Liza discovery.The well was drilled by ExxonMobil affiliate Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Limited, and encountered more than 95 feet of high-quality, oil-bearing sandstone reservoirs. It was safely drilled to 18,080 feet in 6660 feet of water. The Payara field discovery is about 10 miles North-West of the 2015 Liza discovery.“This important discovery further establishes the area as a significant exploration province,” said Steve Greenlee, President of ExxonMobil Exploration Company. “We look forward to working with the Government and our co-venturers to continue evaluating broader exploration potential on the block and the greater Liza area.”In addition to the Payara discovery, appraisal drilling at Liza-3 has identified an additional high quality, deeper reservoir directly below the Liza field, which is estimated to contain between 100-150 million oil equivalent barrels. This additional resource is currently being evaluated for development in conjunction with the world-class Liza discovery.“These latest exploration successes are examples of ExxonMobil’s technological capabilities in ultra-deepwater environments, which will enable effective development of the resource for the benefit of the people of Guyana and our shareholders,” Greenlee said.Drilling on Payara began on November 12, 2016, with initial total depth reached on December 2, 2016. Two sidetracks have been drilled to rapidly evaluate the discovery, and a well test is underway to further evaluate the successful well results. The well data will be analysed in the coming months to better determine the full resource potential.The Stabroek Block is 6.6 million acres (26,800 square kilometres). Esso Exploration and Production Guyana Limited is operator and holds 45 per cent interest in the Stabroek Block. Hess Guyana Exploration Ltd holds 30 per cent interest and CNOOC Nexen Petroleum Guyana Limited holds 25 per cent interest.Back in October 2016, the company made its third significant discovery in its drilling explorations offshore Guyana, with its partner, Hess Corporation, noting that the Liza 3 exploratory well’s net value could be US$6.2 billion based on calculations from the Bank of Montreal (BMO) Capital Markets.In late June 2016, Exxon’s drilling results at Liza 2 revealed more than 58 metres of oil-bearing sandstone reservoirs in Upper Cretaceous formations. The well was drilled to 5475 metres at 1692 metres water depth. Drilling results confirmed recoverable resources to be between 800 million and 1.4 billion barrels of oil equivalent. Data from the Liza 2 well test is being assessed.In May 2015, Exxon confirmed its significant oil discovery at its Liza 1 exploration well, where more than 295 feet of high-quality oil-bearing sandstone reservoirs was encountered.The Liza wells are being drilled with the Stena Carron harsh environment drillship.On September 8, ExxonMobil announced that its third exploratory well, Skipjack (the third well drilled and not Liza 3 as reported in the local media) was unsuccessful since it did not yield commercial quantities of hydrocarbons. ExxonMobil spud Liza 3 after Skipjack turned up unfavourable results. Skipjack was a separate prospect 25 miles North-West of the Liza wells. The Liza 3 well, like Liza 2, will be focused on testing the flank of the Liza structure to determine the aerial extent of the reservoir.In July 2016, ExxonMobil submitted a development plan for Liza to Guyana’s Environmental Protection Agency to begin the environmental review process.That plan calls for a pair of rigs to drill development wells from two drill centres, each with a corresponding water injection site to the East.Business site Bloomberg, in June of this year, reported that ExxonMobil’s oil discovery off the coast of Guyana may hold as much as 1.4 billion barrels, twice the size of the previous estimate, making it potentially worth about US$70 billion based on current prices.last_img read more

Raiders bring Keon Hatcher back after Brandon LaFell’s season-ending Achilles injury

first_imgALAMEDA — The Raiders signed wide receiver Keon Hatcher to their 53-man roster Monday to replace Brandon LaFell, who injured his Achilles in the Raiders’ win over the Cardinals on Sunday. LaFell heads to injured reserve, and his season is over.He sustained the injury on an acrobatic 24-yard catch on 3rd-and-4 midway through the third quarter, his second catch of the day after an earlier 5-yard touchdown grab. LaFell entered Sunday as the Raiders’ No. 1 receiver with knee injuries to Jordy …last_img read more

Investors share insights at first Global Entrepreneurship Congress held in Africa

first_imgThe Global Entrepreneurship Congress gave entrepreneurs the opportunity to pitch their business ideas to investors. Others got a chance to hear insights from business experts from all over the world.Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa cuts the ribbon to open the Global Entrepreneurship Congress in Johannesburg on 14 March 2017. With him is Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu (far left), the conference’s chief executive officer Jonathan Ortmans, Minister Aisha Abubakar of Nigeria (on right) and Tourism Deputy Minister Tokozile Xasa. (Image Melissa Javan)Melissa JavanLook at how you can execute and get traction with the resources that you have, advised one of the investors at a session during the Global Entrepreneurship Congress (GEC).The GEC, a Global Entrepreneurship Network event, took place in Johannesburg from 13-16 March 2017. Speaking at the opening, Lindiwe Zulu, minister of small business development, said: “We’re proud that this conference is here on the African continent for the first time.”According to a GEC press release, people from more than 170 countries from all over the world attended the congress. There were 3,000 delegates, according to Jonathan Ortmans, president of the Global Entrepreneurship Network.Meet to share ideasSpeaking at the official opening on 14 March, Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa said delegates were meeting to share ideas. One of the reasons for this was to rekindle hope “for our people for a better tomorrow”.The GEC was a platform for African entrepreneurs to connect with global investors, he said. “I invite you to put your best foot forward; shine in front of these investors.”He challenged Johannesburg Mayor Herman Mashaba to help small, medium and micro enterprises to thrive by reducing the day to day costs of doing business, as well as reducing the cost of data, transport and financial services.The GEC theme was “Digital disruption”, prompting Ramaphosa to say that digital disruption was the cornerstone of a modern and diversified economy. “It enhances customers’ experiences. Businesses must embrace digital as an enabler.”He added: “Our main focus is profitable and sustainable businesses… We must foster an African entrepreneur network and go forth with intra-Africa trade. We invite others to collaborate with us.”Delegates tweeted their views:Winners of the GEN pitching competition cc @DroppaZA @vhalikza, Bandile Dlabantu & Dineo Lioma #GEC2017 ^eN2 pic.twitter.com/p4cCOInyyD— #GEC2017 (@GENSouthAfrica) March 15, 2017#inspiringAfricanwomen showcase their products @ #GEC2017 #SMEs r future of #Africa #industrialization. With Kuda Mupawose of FESO Africa pic.twitter.com/KUfAqeAY93— Daktari Kategekwa (@JoyKategekwa) March 16, 2017The #GEC2017 was a great conference.. I look forward to seeing the impact in Africa..#RealEntrepreneurs@Work @1voice_radio @harryakinola— Tonito Samuel (@tonitosamuel) March 16, 2017Inspired, motivated, networked, going to implement @NgwanaEnterpri @GENSouthAfrica @sacyjosecarlos pic.twitter.com/kJQUg7k2nG— Tebogo Modisagape (@tebbyvalentia) March 16, 2017Lessons from investorsIn the session “Investing in emerging markets”, international investors gave advice about what they looked for when entrepreneurs approached them for funding:“Talk in numbers.” – Yusuf Randera-Rees of Awethu Project in South Africa“Nothing says more in traction than your resources you can execute with. Look at how you can execute and get traction.” – Igor Oliveira of Semente in Brazil.“If you’re someone who says ‘I’m going to keep on going,’ that is a human aspect for me. If I feel the person is not in it for the right reasons, I won’t go for it [invest in it].” – Christopher Schroeder of Startup Rising in the United States.“Investors buy into you, not the idea.” – Tomi Davies of the African Business Angel Network in Mauritius.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa materiallast_img read more

Ingram, Randle lead Lakers over Suns

first_img2 ‘newbie’ drug pushers fall in Lucena sting Josh Hart tallied his third consecutive double-double in as many starts. He has scored 44 and brought down 36 rebounds in that stretch.Randle said the team has started jokingly calling him Charles Barkley because he’s rebounding at such a high rate at his size.“He’s great, especially from that guard position, coming in and helping the bigs get boards,” Randle said. “He’s huge for us.”UP NEXTSuns: Host the San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday.Lakers: Host the Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday. Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City The Lakers overcame a sluggish start to the second quarter and a 16-6 run by the Suns. Los Angeles made only two of its first 10 shots, and Phoenix took a 50-43 lead on a jump shot by Warren to cap a 22-8 run over nearly seven minutes.Los Angeles answered with a 10-2 run that included Brook Lopez making a 3-pointer after blocking Jackson’s dunk attempt and Ingram making a 3 to give Los Angeles a 53-52 lead with 2:29 left in the half. The game was tied at 57 at halftime.Ingram’s ferocious slam gave Los Angeles an 84-77 lead with 1:59 remaining in the third. His two free throws gave the Lakers a nine-point lead entering the fourth quarter, and Kuzma’s slam dunk sent the crowd into a frenzy and the Lakers into a 95-85 lead with 9:08 remaining in the game.The Lakers held the Suns to just 14 points in the final period, and closed the final 5:27 on an 8-0 run.TIP-INSSuns: Lost their third straight game, and their 12th of their last 13. . Made only 56.5 percent of their free throws. . Marquese Chriss added 10 points and six rebounds.Lakers: Lonzo Ball missed his 11th straight game with a sore left knee. . Outscored Phoenix 25-11 in fast-break points. . Won their seventh straight home game. . Improved to 7-4 without Ball in the lineup.BOOKER OUTSuns guard Devin Booker missed Tuesday’s game with an injury to his left hip.He was hurt in Sunday’s 115-110 loss to the Charlotte Hornets and left the game. He did not practice Monday.Triano said before the game that things change “drastically” without Booker.“He’s a guy that we’ve played at so many different positions,” Triano said. “He’s handled the ball for us in a variety of situations. Scorer, playmaker and he’s been a much better defender this year. We’re going to miss all that.”DOUBLE-DOUBLE HART Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Kuzma said the team’s switching scheme contributed to a strong final stretch on the defensive end.“Just switching everything,” Kuzma said. “Switching pin-downs, pick-and-rolls. And rebounding, too.”The Suns shot 47 percent in the first half. The Lakers held Phoenix to just 29 percent for the remainder of the game.“They got out and they beat us up and down the court,” Suns coach Jay Triano said. “That’s them doing a good job of rebounding and getting it out.”Los Angeles allowed 12 offensive rebounds in the first half, but only four in the second half. Walton said he showed the team a clip at halftime where Warren outworked four Lakers players for an offensive rebound that resulted in a basket.ADVERTISEMENT “You could tell with the way they were talking to each other on the court and the effort they were giving that they were locked in to getting stops for that second half,” Walton said.Brandon Ingram scored 26 points for the Lakers, while Julius Randle added 21 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Kyle Kuzma scored 16 points off the bench.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutTJ Warren scored a team-high 24 points, while Josh Jackson added 16 points and 10 rebounds for the Suns.The Lakers pulled away in the last eight minutes of the fourth quarter with a 15-3 run after leading 97-90. Westbrook, George lead Thunder rout of Durant, Warriors Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH View comments NEXT BLOCK ASIA 2.0 introduces GURUS AWARDS to recognize and reward industry influencerscenter_img Phoenix Suns forward TJ Warren, right, blocks the shot of Los Angeles Lakers forward Brandon Ingram during the second half of an NBA basketball game Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2018, in Los Angeles. The Lakers won 112-93. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)LOS ANGELES — By the time coach Luke Walton entered the locker room at halftime, his Lakers players were already talking about how to defend better over the next 24 minutes.The talk worked. The Lakers held the Suns to only 36 points in the second half en route to a 112-93 victory on Tuesday night.ADVERTISEMENT Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC MOST READ John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding LATEST STORIES Globe Business launches leading cloud-enabled and hardware-agnostic conferencing platform in PH Slow and steady hope for near-extinct Bangladesh tortoises Read Next AFP official booed out of forumlast_img read more

London Olympics 2012: Discus thrower Krishna Poonia loses plot in finals

first_imgIndian discus thrower Krishna Poonia finished a creditable seventh in the women’s discus throw while the gold medal was won by Sandra Perkovic of Croatia in the 2012 London Games at the Olympic Stadium here on Saturday.Sandra took the gold with throw of 69.11 metres, a national record, while the silver medal was taken by Darya Pishchalnikova of Russia with 67.56 m and Li Yanfeng of China settled for the bronze medal at 67.22m.Poonia’s best effort of 63.62 m came in her fifth and penultimate attempt. The Commonwealth Games gold medallist had 62.42 m in the first attempt and 61.61 in the third and 61.31 in the sixth and the final throw. She had two no-throws in the second and the fourth attempt.Poonia’s efforts here were nowhere near her personal best of 64.76 m that she achieved three months back in Hawaii.last_img read more