Philippine Coast Guard (PCG)-Negros Occidental chief, Lieutenant Commander Jansen Benjamin confirmed that the remains of 42-year-old Marlon Adigue Sr. were found yesterday off the coast of Barangay Nasidman in Ajuy, Iloilo.Adigue – resident of Sitio Pasil in Barangay 6-A, Victorias City, Negros Occidental went on a fishing trip on Friday evening along with 36-year-old Agustin Flors. Their boat sank after it was hit by a cargo vessel in the seas dividing Victorias City and Ajuy.Adigue was knocked off the fishing boat, while Flors managed to hold on to the fishing vessel. Flors later managed to get the fishing vessel back to Victorias City under its own power, despite the damage it had incurred in the ramming.Adigue’s remains has been brought to the Jaruda Funeral Homes and arrangements are now being made for the remains to be brought back to Victorias City./PN BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGABACOLOD City – The body a missing fisherman who went missing after a cargo ship hit his boat has been found.
A football player and refugee whose detention in Thailand sparked an outcry has been freed from jail after Bahrain withdrew its extradition request.Hakeem Al-Araibi, who is a Bahraini citizen, fled to Australia in 2014 and was granted political asylum.He was detained in Bangkok in November on an Interpol notice requested by Bahrain. He had travelled to the Thai capital on honeymoon.He was sentenced in absentia to 10 years for vandalising a police station.Al-Araibi, 25, denies the charges and human rights activists say he could face torture if sent back to Bahrain. He has been a vocal critic of Bahraini authorities.His case has been taken up by high-profile footballers, with stars including Didier Drogba and Jamie Vardy calling for his release. The Australian government, Fifa and the International Olympic Committee all lobbied ThailandThailand’s Office of the Attorney General (OAG) asked the court to end proceedings against Al-Araibi because Bahrain had said it no longer wanted him, officials told BBC Thai on Monday.“This morning the Ministry of Foreign Affairs informed us that Bahrain was no longer interested in this request,” OAG foreign office chief Chatchom Akapin said.Al-Araibi is expected to leave Thailand on Monday evening for Australia.Thailand’s foreign minister was in Bahrain over the weekend for an official visit and met with senior leaders.Craig Foster, a former Australian national football captain and TV host who spearheaded the campaign to free Hakeem, said there were “tears” in his household “right now”.Al-Araibi plays for Pascoe Vale FC in Melbourne.Last month, his wife told the BBC that extradition would put him in danger.“I’m calling on every country to help Hakeem because I know if he gets taken back he will be tortured, and he will be killed,” she said.But Bahrain said al-Araibi had been sentenced by an independent judiciary “on charges involving serious violence and criminality, unrelated to any possible freedom of opinion/expression issues”.It said his safety would be “guaranteed” if he returned to Bahrain to appeal against the sentence.Human rights activists in Bahrain lauded Monday’s news.“This is a huge victory for the human rights movement in Bahrain, Thailand and Australia, and even the whole world,” said Sayed Ahmed Alwadaei of the London-based campaign group the Bahrain Institute for Rights and Democracy.“Hakeem’s ordeal ended after 70 days when there was a clear public stance and solidarity movement. The football community, the human rights movement and all of those who dedicated their time and efforts to end this injustice were rewarded.”–Source: BBC