NZ Herald 19 August 2013A new ad campaign is targeting “sensible stoners” who falsely believe smoking cannabis makes them more focused behind the wheel.The New Zealand Transport Agency’s (NZTA) latest safety campaign began airing on TV screens, in cinemas and online last night, targeting the misinformed demographic – drivers in their 30s and 40s who smoke marijuana and drive – for the first time.New Zealand Drug Foundation research has found that half of the drivers killed on New Zealand roads are impaired by alcohol, other drugs or both.Of those drivers, 20 per cent had used cannabis and more than 25 per cent had used the drug and alcohol. Cannabis was the second most detected substance behind alcohol in drivers involved in crashes.NZTA road safety director Ernst Zollner said those being targeted were not “risk-takers”.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10914122
The Brazil-born Spain international took his tally to four in three matches after his £32million move from Atletico Madrid with two in the frenetic 6-3 win at Everton. Costa’s goals helped his former side to the Spanish title last season after he got off to a rapid start with 10 in eight successive wins from the off. “It was very good for people who bought tickets for the game as they saw nine goals, which is good for football and the Premier League. “If every game was like this I’d be happy but the coach will show us where we made mistakes.” The coach in question, Jose Mourinho, has many examples to show them on Monday morning after expressing his dissatisfaction with how they defended. But he also gave them some credit for the way they attacked clinically. “We have scored nine goals in two Premier League games against teams in the top five last season,” he said. “The quality of our football was fantastic: every time we had the ball we were aggressive. “I prefer to win 6-0 playing fantastic football, defensively and offensively, but I want the team to play the way we did, I want them to be positive but not make defensive mistakes.” Everton manager Roberto Martinez will have a whole DVD of errors to show his shell-shocked squad with their defensive confidence in tatters after conceding 10 goals in three matches. The Spaniard admits fear has crept into their game and he will have to work hard to stop it. “We started the game very uncharacteristically for us,” he said. “We didn’t have that defensive intensity and focus you have to have, especially with a team like Chelsea, and then we were chasing the game. “We were very good going forward, I don’t think there will be many teams who will score three goals against Chelsea this season, but we were too soft with our defending. “Every time the ball was around our 18-yard box we had a real fear of it ending up in our net. “We now have conceded in three games and that is not like us at all. We kept 15 clean sheets last campaign. “We need to work and focus. It is not the technicality of conceding goals, it is the feeling. “That is something we need to change. Our attacking play was phenomenal and we need to bring that confidence into our defensive play.” Press Association Striker Diego Costa hopes his impressive start to his Chelsea career is a good omen for the club. Twelve months on Costa shows no signs of slowing down despite the hamstring problems which disrupted the end of his campaign. “We have started really well and it is always good to have a great start,” he said. “Last year we did the same and now this year too. “It is nice to score goals but for me the most important thing is the team wins but I am happy I scored and helped the team win. “Our team is a great team, it is really important to achieve great things and I am really happy to be here.” Costa scored in the first minute – after just 35 seconds – and the last, in between which were sandwiched efforts from Branislav Ivanovic, Nemanja Matic and Ramires in addition to a Seamus Coleman own goal. Kevin Mirallas, Steven Naismith and, against the club he left in the summer, Samuel Eto’o made it 2-1, 3-2 and 4-3 respectively but Chelsea always just kept one step ahead. “It was nice to score my first goal (for the club) because on this ground it is always difficult, although the most important thing is we got three points,” said midfielder Matic. “This season we play better, we have more goals in us, we are more confident in attack – we scored six goals which is not easy.
Supporters have begun to show dissent at the style of play the Dutchman has brought in at Old Trafford, and chants of “attack, attack, attack” were in evidence during Saturday’s 2-0 win over West Brom. Despite fans’ concerns United are fourth in the Premier League, just two behind leaders and near-neighbours City, and Schweinsteiger urged them to have faith in Van Gaal’s methods. “I recognise similarities between Louis van Gaal here and at Bayern Munich,” he said. “In Munich if you remember it took a while before the team understood exactly how we wants to play football, but in the end we won the Bundesliga title and made it to the Champions League final. “It is not about October or November, it is about May. “I remember the fans were unsure about him early on at Bayern but in the end we did the double and so the fans in Munich loved him. “I am sure Louis will bring success to United. I am convinced about that but we have to do our work and we have to improve. I am convinced it will happen.” While Schweinsteiger understands supporters’ frustrations, he insists the Premier League is so competitive it is not always easy to roll over teams – particularly the ones who arrive at Old Trafford with a defensive mindset. He does accept, however, the team have to do more at home. “You have to be patient but, of course, during that you have to win, you have to get results and you have to score,” he added. “You recognise what the supporters are saying but football is not only attack. “There are teams with different game styles and they also win titles but I think especially in home matches we have to press and go forward. “When you are playing a team who defend with 10 men it is not easy to find the gaps. “It is not exclusive to England. You have seen Bayern draw 0-0 recently against Frankfurt because Frankfurt were defending with a lot of players. “It happens but you have to find solutions and this is where we can still improve to make it easier for ourselves. “There is still room for improvement but we did improve on breaking a team down.” Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is convinced manager Louis van Gaal will bring success to the club and urged fans to show patience. Press Association
NASCAR Truck Series driver Ray Ciccarelli sparked a lot of attention online with comments he made on a personal Facebook page about his driving career.Ciccarelli announced he would quit racing after the 2020 season following NASCAR’s ban of Confederate flags from all events. Despite saying his wife and family “have been attacked and abused on social media,” Ciccarelli said he doesn’t regret hitting send on his post. He just wishes his point came across differently.“I feel everybody has a right to their opinion. And that was my opinion,” Ciccarelli said. “I believe people can kneel, and protest and do what they love and support and all that. I wasn’t trying to offend anybody. That’s not something that I wanted to do in any shape or form.”As for if he’ll actually follow through with giving up racing, Ciccarelli wasn’t as adament about that in this interview. He responded with “TBA,” short for “to be announced.” “Well its been a fun ride and dream come true but if this is the direction NASCAR is headed we will not participate after the 2020 season is over,” Ciccarelli wrote.#NASCAR Truck driver/owner Ray Ciccarelli says he won’t continue in NASCAR after this year. He cited his reasons in this Facebook post: pic.twitter.com/NKrgPZFvyJ— John Haverlin (@JohnHaverlin) June 10, 2020MORE: NASCAR driver quits after Confederate flag banCiccarelli received plenty of backlash online for his comments, and deleted his Twitter and Facebook accounts as a result. In an interview with Toby Christie, Ciccarelli explained why he sent that post and detailed the reaction it caused from people.In the interview, Ciccarelli said his actual viewpoints were misrepresented. He also claims he wasn’t supporting the Confederate flag.”I don’t like the fact that I was misconstrued about defending the Confederate flag. Because in no way shape or form was I defending the Confederate flag,” Ciccarelli told Toby Christie. “Everything I was saying was the fact that I understand both sides’ feelings toward the flag. My viewpoint, all I was trying to say is how do you take (the flag) from one group and help support the group that it offends and then what do you do to the group that you took it from? Now, they get outraged.”