Andy Murray wins opening ATP World Tour Finals match against Ferrer

first_imgAndy Murray began his ATP World Tour Finals campaign with a convincing win over Spain’s David Ferrer in London.The Briton, 28, won 6-4 6-4 at the O2 Arena and will next play the winner of the evening match between Stan Wawrinka and Rafael Nadal.Another victory on Wednesday would ensure Murray ends the year as world number two for the first time.The Scot’s season will continue next week as Great Britain take on Belgium in the Davis Cup final.”It was a tough match with a lot of long rallies,” said Murray. “He fought hard right to the end and made it extremely difficult.”He didn’t serve as well as he can and I played a bit better at the end of both sets, and that got me the win.” After some uncertainty over whether Murray would sacrifice his place in London to remain healthy for the showpiece in Belgium on 27-29 November, the Scot was in committed mood once he stepped out into the O2 Arena for his first round-robin match.He spent several days last week practising on clay for Britain’s first Davis Cup final since 1978, but there was little sign of rustiness on the switch back to an indoor hard court.Four break points slipped by in the first eight games before Murray finally broke through, thanks to a fine volley and a Ferrer double fault.The seventh seed, 33, was misfiring, making just 47% of first serves, and he was thankful for a loose Murray service game at the start of the second set.Ferrer was soon battling to keep Murray at bay once again, however, succumbing in game six as the Scot levelled. Serving to stay in the match, an eighth double fault saw Ferrer go 0-30 down. Then presented with a first match point a bouncing Murray leapt to put away a smash at the second attempt.The victory gives him an early lead in Group Ilie Nastase, with two players to qualify for the semi-finals on Saturday.–Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @Joy997FM. Our hashtag is #JoySportslast_img read more

Public Security Minister a failure – Opposition Leader

first_imgCrime spiralling out of control…as crime continues to ravage GuyanaOpposition Leader Bharrat JagdeoPublic Security Minister Khemraj RamjattanCrime continues to ravage the country and Public Security Minister, Khemraj Ramjattan is more focused on building his portfolio for the prime ministerial candidacy for the Alliance for Change (AFC) rather than addressing the threats to citizens’ security across Guyana.This is according to Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo, who on Thursday said that Ramjattan had failed at executing his duties over the past four years in office and that his failures are having serious, negative effects on the Guyanese populace.According to the Opposition Leader, since assumption to office, Minister Ramjattan is yet to do an efficient and effective job, adding that the Minister’s trajectory to date is one that is filled with fiascos.“This Minister has been a failure, 17 persons died under his watch, the worst prison fire ever in our history the tragedy in the prison under his watch. We had 23 years in Office, none of that happened. We had a second fire in which the entire prison burnt down, we have to spend billions of dollars repairing, building a new prison now,” the Opposition Leader said.According to Jagdeo, crime is ravaging the country and even the prisoners at certain jails are not being taken care of or properly monitored.This, he said, should be a top priority for the subject Minister, and had Ramjattan done his job effectively over the past four years, a lot of trouble with the prisons could have been avoided.“We have had, I believe, more escape from prisoners in his tenure in the last four years than the entire independent history of Guyana. This is his track record. Every single day gun crimes, we started off with the petty crimes now the gun crimes have picked up,” he noted.Between July 9 and July 10, 2017, a ravaging fire at the Camp Street Prison completely flattened the structure, causing several high-profile criminals to escape.One year prior to this unfortunate incident, in March of 2016, 17 prisoners died as a result of unrest that started in the same location.Thereafter, there have been constant breakouts from the Lusignan Prison, where in one instance alone 13 inmates had escaped.last_img read more