Sunday Star Times 8 Jan 2012Sex education could be too much for conservative Kiwi youths, a new poll has found. A nationwide poll of 600 people aged 15-21 found they held conservative views on sex issues. Only 19 per cent agreed that schools should teach safe sex, rather than abstinence and the consequences of sex, while 42 per cent wanted a combination of both – especially older teenagers. The poll was done by Curia Market Research for Family First New Zealand – a conservative values lobby group. Director Bob McCoskrie said the results were a direct reproach from young people against “safe sex” messages around condoms, and that “everyone is doing it”. “Many parents were horrified last year when details of what was being taught surfaced. Sex education has been an utter failure.” He said New Zealand had one of the highest teenage pregnancy rates in the OECD, disease rates were “out of control”, and the number of teenage abortions continued to rise at the same time as some groups were saying as long as a condom was used you could do what you liked in terms of “promiscuity, experimentation, and fringe behaviours”.Family Planning chief executive Jackie Edmond said it was no surprise young people wanted comprehensive sex education. “Young people do better with sex education that is a whole range of components, not just one.” But she said no organisation advocated safe sex alone, and lessons included being taught about negotiation, delay and relationship management.http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/wellbeing/6226549/Conservative-young-cautious-on-sex-educationAnd the response???Lift in teen STDsNewstalk ZB 8 Jan 2012There is a feeling changing the way teenagers are taught sex education would see a lift in the number of young people with STDs. Lobby group Family First have made calls to revamp the way sex education is taught in schools. The calls follow a recent survey of 600 15 to 21 year olds, which quizzed them about sex education, the rights of the unborn child, and teenage pregnancies. Youth health expert Sue Bagshaw says telling kids they cannot do something makes them more likely to do it. She says research shows teenagers in the US who’ve had the abstinence message preached to them are more likely to go out and run amokhttp://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/auckland/news/nbhea/1462731373-Lift-in-teen-STDs
RelatedPosts Tyson Fury to Anthony Joshua: Don’t risk fighting Usyk Anthony Joshua, Okolie plot world title double Anthony Joshua wants Tyson Fury, Wilder fight Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua’s saga looks set to continue forever. The three heavyweight elites are in a constant battle with each other to be considered the best in the division. In the latest episode of the saga, Fury commented on Joshua and how he would fair against the Bronze Bomber if the two ever actually managed to agree on a deal to step into the ring; despite all the talking, Joshua is yet to go toe-to-toe with either of his biggest competitors. Only Fury and Wilder of the considered current best heavyweights have stepped into the ring and even that had an unsatisfying conclusion. The bout ended in a controversial draw as Fury proved that it is actually possible to recover from one of Wilder’s haunting hooks. But that was Fury. The Gypsy King doesn’t believe that Joshua could do the same; the Brit has been down more times in his entire career than Fury and Wilder combined after he was sent to the canvas in his first bout with Andy Ruiz Jr four times. Fury believes that his chin is far superior to Joshua’s and that his fellow British heavyweight would be flattened by Wilder in the opening two rounds. “I think Wilder would knock Joshua out in two rounds, and that’s not being critical of Joshua,” said Fury to TheMacLife. “I think he’s tailor-made for Wilder. A big, heavy load marching forward.” Joshua – after his shocking defeat to Ruiz Jr – performed better in the rematch and managed to regain control of the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO titles after a unanimous points win. Fury, though, wasn’t impressed with his performance on the night against a much-changed (physically and mentally) Ruiz Jr, influenced by his recent fortunes. “I don’t think it was a great performance, to be fair,” continued Fury, on Joshua’s win on December 7. “He stuck and moved, but every time he planted his feet for one second, he was like Bambi on ice, and that was with Ruiz coming in at 21 stone or whatever he was. He [Ruiz] was as fat as a pig. That few million quid that he got, the $7 million, it went to his belly. “I just think that when you’ve never had any money in your life, and when you get $7 million or $8 million, you may as well have won the Euro millions and you may as well be a billionaire.” Fury also admitted that he will finally be fighting Joshua after Wilder in the second of what he claims will be his final three fights. These three going up against each other is all boxing fans want to see.Tags: Anthony JoshuaBronze BomberDeontay WilderTyson Fury
There had been a feel-good factor around Craven Cottage early on, with a promising start by the Whites complementing the recent appointment of highly-rated Rene Meulensteen as head coach. However, that positive atmosphere turned poisonous as Swansea grew into the game, with supporters making their feelings known to under-fire Jol and his players during the 2-1 defeat. ‘Jol out’ rung out as time was called on the Whites’ latest loss, with that anger continuing to spill over as he trudged across from the managers’ bench to the tunnel. “It is not the nicest period of my life, I have to stay,” Jol said. “I can understand [the fans’ anger], of course. You don’t enjoy that, but the first half they were behind us because they could see us playing with a good rhythm, creating a few chances. “But the second half, if you are 1-0 down, then 1-1 and then 2-1 down, you get this sort of criticism. “You need points, you need wins. But I think, especially in the first half, we were good enough to score three goals and we didn’t. “The only disappointing thing is if you don’t score goals, you should be capable of getting a result, a 0-0 for example. That was terrible after scoring.” Jol is the bookmakers’ overwhelming favourite to be the next Premier League manager to leave after this latest defeat, which keeps them in the relegation zone. The Dutchman admits he is “not sure” whether he can turn the fans around, but is confident he can oversee an improvement in the results. Asked what keeps him driven to succeed given the supporters’ anger, Jol said: “But then somebody else has to do it and I still know these players. “I brought a lot of players in and they know me. There is no problem in the dressing room. “You need 40 points and Swansea, for example, would have been below us if we would have had the winner today and there is no problem over there. “We scored their first goal for them, so what is the difference between success and failure?” Things could have been so much different had Dimitar Berbatov or Darren Bent netted during a dominant start to proceedings. The latter came closest by hitting the post, with Swansea taking the lead through an Aaron Hughes own goal early in the second half. Scott Parker drew parity when a cross looped in, but Fulham were unable to hold out as substitute Jonjo Shelvey rifled home spectacularly with 10 minutes remaining. While galling for Fulham, it was a morale-boosting first three points for Swansea since October 19, propelling the Welsh side into the top half. “Well, a win is always important,” Swansea manager Michael Laudrup said. “It was a great away win after what happened in the last game [against Stoke], when we should have won only for two points to fly away in the last second. “We knew that Fulham would be very difficult opponents today. They have lost some games recently but they had a chance to beat us today and go above us and away from the relegation zone. “All these things together made it a very, very, very important game for both of us. “Us being away added little more difficulty, so apart from the win, the performance over the last 20 minutes of the first half and the whole second was excellent. “We continued maintaining our style of possession, even in a moment where you could say maybe we should go a little more direct, more simple. We still kept doing what we always do and I think it was a great performance. “When they scored, we had to go back but we still dominated the rest of the half, except the last four or five minutes like always. “We got a great second goal and in the end the win, so I really have to say I am very, very pleased with the win and the performance.” Fulham fans turned on manager Martin Jol and his players after Swansea condemned the west London side to a fifth successive defeat in all competitions. Press Association
Coming off a huge win Friday night over the No. 6 Boston College Eagles, the Wisconsin men’s hockey team looked to continue their success Sunday afternoon in the Kohl Center, but fell short in an 8-5 shootout.The Eagles only needed 10 seconds to score, setting the tone for the Badgers’ defense.It looked to be a long afternoon as the Badgers committed two back-to-back hooking penalties within four minutes and allowed the second Eagle score in the 11th minute, as sophomore forward Chris Brown finished the night with four points and a hat trick.The Badgers would eventually answer with a goal of their own following a five-minute major assessed to Boston College for hitting from behind and game misconduct that gave them a good power play opportunity.The teams looked to be evenly matched at the end of the first and seemed as though another thriller was underway in the Kohl Center. However, the second period got away from the Badger defense and would put UW in too deep of a hole to recover.Freshman defenseman JD Greenway got the scoring going for the Badgers and his season as he netted his first goal in red and white on a beautiful three on one break.Boston College did not blink an eye to respond as they went on to score four unanswered goals in an eight-minute time frame, tearing through the Badger defense and claiming a 6-2 lead.“I think Boston College came out and was unhappy with what happened Friday, and they showed us what good teams do,” head coach Tony Granato said. “They get ready to play. They compete. They battle, and they did that for 60.”Men’s hockey: Tony Granato’s hockey journey comes full circleThere aren’t many people who have more experience and exposure to the game of hockey than Tony Granato. He has Read…Down four goals in the second period spells disaster for a lot of teams, but the Badgers scratched and clawed their way back with the help of an incredibly skillful between-the-legs score from junior Cameron Hughes and lit a spark under the Badgers.“It was a huge goal and brought a lot of momentum to the team,” freshman forward Trent Frederic said.Frederic finished the night with four points and cut the lead to one midway through the third, assisting on a Grant Besse score and bringing the previously demoralized crowd back into the game.The effort, however, would be too late for Wisconsin as Boston College sealed the game with two empty net goals late in the third and denying the Badgers of late game heroics.Men’s hockey: UW hosts No. 6 Boston College in regular season home openerThe University of Wisconsin men’s hockey team looks to improve their 0.500 record under head coach Tony Granato as the Read…The Badger defense, along with their top line, struggled all night to stop the Boston College attack.“We didn’t do enough good things,” Hughes said. “It’s not good enough from us as leaders on the team, so we took it upon ourselves, and we know we gotta do better.”Despite the loss, the Badgers came out even in the series against the sixth ranked team in the nation and hope to build on the success two weeks from now when they head to New York to meet the Saints of St. Lawrence University.
CHICAGO — Remember Carlos Perez?In 2015, Perez hit a homer in his big league debut and ended up taking Chris Iannetta’s job as the everyday catcher, earning the opening day nod in 2016.At the time, he looked like he might be the Angels’ answer behind the plate, at least for a few years.But Perez lost much of his playing time to Jett Bandy in 2016, then to Martin Maldonado after the Angels acquired him. This season, Perez spent almost the entire year in the minors, with Juan Graterol taking the backup spot in the big leagues. Perez is currently in the majors as a September call-up, but he’s batted just three times in four games in September. For the season, he has one hit in just 16 at-bats. “He did catch well down the stretch in 2015, but he hasn’t taken the next step to do the things you see Martin doing and some other catchers,” Manager Mike Scioscia said Tuesday. “He’s growing in that area. We still obviously see the potential. Hopefully he’s going to reach that potential.”Scioscia said Perez needs to improve his defense, which is obviously critical to the Angels because they kept him in the minors despite significant strides offensively this year at Triple-A.Perez hit .352 with a .423 on-base percentage and a .925 OPS at Salt Lake City.“I just went down there and worked hard and did the best I could to get back,” Perez said. “I tried to use the whole field, go the other way a lot.”Perez, who was up briefly in April before going down for nearly five months, understands that the defense is what needs work. He also said he tried not to get frustrated with the lack of a promotion earlier in the year. “It’s something I can’t control,” he said. “When the opportunities come, I just have to do my best and show the people that I can play.”ARMS FOR THE FUTURERelievers Noé Ramirez and Blake Wood, both of whom remain under control to the Angels next season, have made a good impression on Scioscia with their September call-ups.Ramirez, a 27-year-old product of Alhambra High and Cal State Fullerton, has allowed one run in eight innings, with 10 strikeouts. Ramirez has stranded nine of 11 runners.“He’s got some real good breaking pitches, a sneaky fastball a lot of deception,” Scioscia said.Wood, 32, has allowed eight runs in 14 innings, but seven of those were in two games. He has 19 strikeouts. Wood is less likely to return to the Angels, though, because he’d be arbitration eligible.HEANEY UPDATEAndrew Heaney said his bullpen session went well, but Scioscia said the Angels hadn’t decided if he would start on Thursday. Heaney has missed nearly three weeks with shoulder inflammation.If the Angels decide not to have Heaney start, they will have another bullpen game, likely with Bud Norris taking the ball first.ALSOC.J. Cron stretched his drought to 0-for-20 before an infield hit in the seventh inning…Parker Bridwell has not allowed a stolen base this season. His straight starts without allowing a steal is the longest streak to start an Angels career since Tommy John…Mike Trout has four hits against the White Sox this season, and all are home runs… Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error