‘Ministry Unaware of Amputee World Cup Participation,’ Minister Yonton

first_imgDeputy Minister Henry Yonton has said that the Ministry is yet to receive an official communication from the Liberia Amputee Football & Sports Association (LAFASA) about its participation in the 2015 Amputee Soccer World Cup in Culiacan, Sinaloa, Mexico which runs from November 30-December 8, 2014.Minister Yonton told the Daily Observer in an exclusive interview yesterday that there is no letter on his desk relating to Liberia’s invitation or participation from the local governing amputee body, but only heard it over radios and in newspapers, that Liberia — Africa’s triple soccer champion, is expected to join other African countries in Mexico.“Normally, when the Minister receives a communication about sports he sends it down to me as head to act, but unfortunately up to this time, there is no letter on my desk relating to the 2015 Amputee Soccer World Cup,” he said.However, in a telephone conversation yesterday, LAFASA president Melvin Cooper Gotten told the Daily Observer that a letter had already been sent to the Ministry of Youth and Sports.Meanwhile several amputee soccer followers are wondering if at all Liberia would be allowed to participate in the Amputee World Cup in Mexico due to the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the country.Recall that due to the Ebola outbreak, a friendly international soccer outlined between Liberia and the United States was recently cancelled.Additionally, a team of Liberian athletes could not be allowed to participate in the recent Nanjing, China Youth Olympics and two teams of Liberia handball players were denied participation at the recent tournament to Lome, Togo.Liberia is the current and triple champions in the amputee division in Africa.Team Liberia’s captain Festus Harrison currently holds the African best player award, while goalkeeper Joseph Allen is the best on the continent.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Ethics panel combs laws on lobbyists

first_imgBattered by critics over loopholes in Los Angeles’ lobbying provisions, the city Ethics Commission on Friday began re-examining regulations covering everything from registration to fundraising. In the first of several planned workshops, Ethics Commission staff members met with lobbyists and others to determine which regulations might need to be changed to better reflect the role and activities of lobbyists. “This city has had some regulations on lobbyists in effect since 1969 and has been a leader in looking at their activities,” Ethics Commission Director LeeAnn Pelham said. “But it’s been some time since we have had a re-evaluation of it.” The city’s lobbying laws have gained increased scrutiny since the November passage of Measure R, which gave City Council members the option to run for a third four-year term and was designed to limit the influence of lobbyists on City Hall decisions. Under current laws, lobbyists are required to report that they are hosts of events if they pass an e-mail on to at least 25 people or are involved in telephone conversations regarding fundraisers. That rule applies even if they have no significant hosting role in the event. Limits on lobbyists’ political activities long have been a concern of local officials. Concern escalated under former Mayor James Hahn, whose administration was embroiled in allegations regarding “pay-for-play” abuses. Subsequent regulations were designed to stem the role of lobbyists as political fundraisers. In one of his first acts after taking office, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa also removed all lobbyists from city commissions. Pelham said the Ethics Commission review is expected to take several months to complete. [email protected] (213) 978-0390160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The measure, however, failed to address loopholes that have been used to allow lobbyists to continue to raise thousands of dollars on behalf of elected officials and candidates. Pelham said the commission’s review will include Measure R and its impact. For lobbyists, many of their complaints involve city bookkeeping rules that often require filing duplicate statements of work performed. They also want a clearer definition of what constitutes lobbying activity and any administrative work they do. Several lobbyists at the Friday workshop said most of their work has involved pulling building permits and submitting plans for approval to allow city work to proceed for their clients. The lobbyists also urged the city to adopt clearer rules on what must be reported for fundraising activities. last_img read more

Djokovic wins third US Open, equals Sampras

first_imgIt was also the third time the 31-year-old Serb — who missed last year’s tournament with an elbow injury which sent his career into a mini-crisis — completed the Wimbledon-US Open double.“I want to say Pete, I love you, you’re my idol,” said Djokovic of Sampras.“To the support of the loved ones, my kids, my wife, my small team of people that has been there with me through difficult times as well,” added the Serb who underwent elbow surgery after the Australian Open in January.For world number three Del Potro, it was a heartbreaking experience coming in just his second Slam final, nine years after he was crowned US Open champion before a long battle with wrist injuries pushed him into depression and to the brink of retirement.“When I had my surgery I could truly understand what Juan Martin was going through when he had surgeries that kept him away form the tour for two or three years,” added Djokovic.It was Djokovic’s 15th win over the Del Potro and fifth in five at the Slams.It came in a final which was business-like rather than thrilling, a relief for a tournament still reeling from the controversial women’s final on Saturday.The result also means that 50 of the last 55 majors have been won by the ‘Big Four’ of Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Andy Murray.Del Potro backed Djokovic to surpass Federer’s mark of 20 Slams.“Of course he can. Novak has everything to make records in this sport,” said the Argentine.– ‘My idol’ Djokovic –Best of friends: Novak Djokovic and Juan Martin del Potro embrace © AFP / Eduardo MUNOZ ALVAREZ“I was so happy to be playing the final against this magnificent idol,” added Del Potro of his close friend Djokovic.“He knows that he’s one of my friends on tour and he knows he’s one player I want to watch win on tour. Of course I’m sad to lose but I’m happy for Novak as well. You deserve to win.”With the Arthur Ashe Stadium roof closed as heavy rain swept New York, conditions were slow and sluggish.After taking just two points off Del Potro’s first three service games, Djokovic, in his 23rd final at the majors, pounced to break for 5-3.The key was his success with a lung-busting 22-shot rally and he pocketed the set when the 29-year-old del Potro netted a forehand.It was only the second set dropped by the Argentine at the tournament.For Djokovic, it was an illustration of him growing into the championships as he took his run of consecutive sets won to 14, stretching back to the second round against Tennys Sandgren.Djokovic was soon 3-1 up in the second set before Del Potro carved out his first break point of the match to level at 3-3.He had three more chances in the eighth, all saved by Djokovic in a marathon 20-minute game which left even Hollywood superstar Meryl Streep clasping her head in astonishment.The effort took its toll on a suddenly weary-looking Del Potro as a 95-minute set was claimed by Djokovic in the tiebreak.Del Potro was looking at having to become the first man since Pancho Gonzales in 1949 to win the US title from two sets down.Djokovic sprinted into a 3-1 lead in the third set before a battling Del Potro clung on, hitting back for 3-3.But off the back of a 24-shot rally, Djokovic broke again for 5-3 and he was within tantalising touching distance of his 14th Grand Slam title, just three months after he had left Roland Garros in despair after a shattering quarter-final exit.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Mighty roar: Novak Djokovic celebrates a point © AFP / Eduardo MUNOZ ALVAREZNEW YORK, United States, Sep 10 – Novak Djokovic clinched his third US Open title on Sunday with a 6-3, 7-6 (7/4), 6-3 triumph over Juan Martin del Potro, taking him level with Pete Sampras’s mark of 14 Grand Slams.Djokovic, playing in his eighth final in New York and already the champion in 2011 and 2015, is now just three Slams behind Rafael Nadal and six back from the all-time record 20 held by Roger Federer.last_img read more