first_imgA funeral mass was held Dec. 9 at Immaculate Conception Church in Secaucus for Wanda S. Bosinski, 85 of Secaucus. She passed away Dec. 1 at Meadowlands Medical Center. Daughter of the late John P. and Mary Ann (O’Konski) Bobowicz, Wanda was one of nine children. Born and raised in Jersey City, she was a Secaucus resident and a communicant of Immaculate Conception Church for over 50 years. Wanda retired in 1999 after over 40 years with the Erie, Erie-Lackawanna, and CSX Railroads as a freight car expeditor. Predeceased by her husband Eugene and her son Wayne Bosinski, and her brothers John B. Thomas, William, Richard, and Joseph Bobowicz, Wanda is survived by her sister Lorraine Sadowski, her brother George Bobowicz and his wife Maryanne, as well as many nieces and nephews and grand-nieces and nephews.Services arranged by the Mack Memorial Home, Secaucus.last_img read more

Entry list for Sprint Cup race at New Hampshire

first_imgWATCH: Final Laps: Kenseth takes Chicagoland READ: Kenseth wins at rainy Chicagoland READ: Engine failure halts Logano’s fast Chase start Click here to see the entry list for this week’s race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Field includes 43 drivers in second race in the Chase for the NASCAR Sprint Cup MORE: WATCH: Post-Race Reactions GEICO 400last_img

Santos Praises the Army for Killing FARC Leader

first_img The identity of ‘Caliche’, whose real name is Leónidas Zambrano Cardozo, was confirmed a few hours after he died in combat in a rural area of Nariño department, on the border with Ecuador. Minister of Defense Juan Carlos Pinzón, said in a press conference that ‘Caliche’ was part of the FARC’s joint staff, of which he was member for 30 years. On May 8, Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos praised the country’s Army for killing a leader of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), which is currently in peace talks with the Colombian government in Cuba. By Dialogo May 10, 2013 Santos also said that ‘Caliche’ was in charge of the FARC’s ‘Jacobo Arenas’ mobile column, to which he attributed responsibility for attacks in Cauca department, one of the most affected areas in the country by the armed actions of the guerrillas.center_img Peace negotiations have been ongoing since last November in Havana, without declaring a ceasefire due to Santos’ decision, who believes it would give the FARC a strategic advantage at the peace talks. “He had nine arrest warrants. He was responsible for terrorist attacks, killings, and kidnappings,” the minister said, and added that the leader’s death was “a huge blow” against the FARC. “Congratulations to our Army, our Public Force,” Santos said during a public presentation in the city of Armenia (300 km west of Bogotá) after receiving confirmation that aka ‘Caliche’ was killed on May 4, along with six other FARC members. last_img read more

Marty Greenstein: Let Stress be Springboard to Success

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Marty Greenstein and his wife Dianna opened their first restaurant, the Hungry Haven, inside long-gone Baron’s Department Store in Smithtown, but in 1980 the couple got out of the restaurant business and continued doing catering and special events under the name Uncle Marty’s. As their clientele grew more corporate, the Greensteins renamed their business Event Pros Group and expanded to a larger building in Ronkonkoma a decade later. Today, Event Pros Group handles a select list of event clients, while Mr. Greenstein concentrates on public speaking, sales training, and his book published in 2015, How to Sell the Brooklyn Bridge… And Other Stuff. He continues to perform as a strolling magician, using tricks he learned watching the magicians he hired work the crowds. We caught up with “Uncle Marty” at Watermill Caterers in Smithtown.Long Island Press: Were your parents role models as entrepreneurs?Marty Greenstein: My father was named Aaron. Everybody called him Archie. He was born in a small village in Russia. Never knew his father. Left school after third grade. My dad was a tough guy. He worked for years as a salesman for the Restful Mattress Company. He’d go to customers’ homes who called him to have their old mattresses fixed. My dad would take a knife and slice their mattresses open. He’d show they didn’t have the original horsehair stuffing. Then they’d have to hire him to repair it. They loved him anyway. He was a bit of a bandit.LIP: Did your mother work as a homemaker or in business?MG: My mother’s name was Phyllis. She was a hard worker too. She was always working at her mother’s corset shop in East Flatbush near where we lived. In later years, she worked at the restaurant my father eventually opened in Borough Park.LIP: How did your career begin?MG: I didn’t finish school. After working at my dad’s restaurant, I bought a taxi medallion and drove a cab in the city. WPIX used to call me when they did stories about cab drivers. Then a guy who cast commercials hailed my cab. After that I got work doing movies and commercials. I still get calls. About four years ago I was the Aleve Santa Claus.LIP: How did the catering and eventing get started?MG: Customers’ kids used to call me Uncle Marty. One day a little girl asked .me, “Uncle Marty, can I have my birthday party in your restaurant?” What do you think I said, No? I said, “Of course, sweetheart. What day is your birthday?” I asked Dianna how to create a kid’s birthday party. Then an adult asked me if I’d cater his company’s picnic. I said, “Of course.” I had never been to a corporate picnic myself. So I learned.LIP: How did your business grow?MG: In the early ’80s I started creating events around team-building. It offered a solid business reason to get out of the office. We needed tons of costumes for the exercises. At one point we had over 800 costumes.LIP: Are all your events successful?MG: Yes, of course. Well, maybe one in a million isn’t. Do you know I keep a mouse in my pocket for magic? We were working a wedding, I took out the mouse and said very quietly, “Eek.” Maybe not so quietly. The mother of the bride sees it and starts screaming at us to leave. So we left. Another time we filled a 6,500-foot tunnel in Grand Central Station with several thousand balloons. Later everyone started popping them – Pop! Pop Pop! The cops ran in thinking someone had a machine gun. God forbid.LIP: Do you have an eventing philosophy?MG: I do. I believe eventing is all about passion. It can be stressful, but I believe in letting the stress become a springboard for success. I grew up watching my parents work hard but not letting themselves grow. So I say: Never stagnate. Let your imagination lift you to where you can see far into the distance. Rather than letting your restrictions hold you back, let what you see guide you.last_img read more