Last year Calabar High matched their best ever winning streak at the annual Inter-Secondary Schools Sports Association (ISSA)/GraceKennedy Boys and Girls’ Athletic Championships, when they won their fourth successive crown. On Saturday, the Red Hills Road-based school lifted the Mortimer Geddes Trophy for the fifth time on the bounce, when they beat away the challenge of perennial rivals Kingston College (KC) to gain their 26th hold. For head coach, Clarke, last year was his first time winning four straight and after extending it to five-in-a-row on Saturday, the tactician described the victory as ‘memorable’ and says plans are in place for the school to go on and claim a sixth straight championship. “This is a memorable one, very historic. The school in its history has never done five straight before. KC is a talented team, very well coached, but today (Saturday) was our day. But that’s championships for you,” Clarke commented amid the team’s celebrations on the running track. “But it’s not so much for me, it’s for the school. They have never gone five straight, so that’s historic. For me it’s also quite an achievement and I am quite pleased by the success. “We are always planning ahead, like three years ahead so it’s quite a possibility,” he said about winning next year. 15 TITLES Clarke has won a combined 15 Boys’ Champs titles with three different schools. He won his first championship with St Jago in 1988; then moved to Jamaica College where he won seven titles. He won his first double in 1991-92 with the Old Hope Road-based school and his first triple with the ‘Dark Blues’ from 1998-2000. He joined his alma mater, Calabar, in 2003 and saw them to back-to-back titles in 2007 and 2008. Last year he claimed his first four-peat and now he has won five straight titles for the first time. “I am humbled by the success and I give God thanks for it as well,” he told The Gleaner. Calabar finished with 287.50 points, well clear of KC, 250, and JC, 227.50.
Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Governor happy with promise to speed up work permit process Related Items:immigration board, new policy, work permit Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 10 Aug 2015 – Cabinet last week agreed to change the way work permits for expatriate workers can be issued when these individuals are switching employment. Once the policy change is formalized it will mean more scrutiny for foreign workers who want to swap jobs. The press release from the Governor’s office reveals that it was agreed to amend the policy which prohibited the grant of work permits to persons changing employers. It will call for work permits in these cases to at first satisfy the Immigration Board; and it will have to be proven to the Board that the situation is an exceptional circumstance as the applicant meets certain other criteria which will reportedly be developed by the Minister. With the modification, the worker from abroad will have to have a formal release from the previous employer as a condition of consideration. All worker sectors will be impacted by this coming change as the policy extends to public, statutory bodies and private companies. Work Permit process needs to speed up, Cabinet hears from UK Consultant Work Permit Rules To Be Adhered To
Posted: August 6, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The fatal stabbing of a man in Balboa Park has drawn attention to the people who are sleeping in San Diego’s most famous park and calling it home.Michael Klausing knows where the homeless live, because he’s one of them. He showed us the part of the park where the stabbing occurred and said he also knew the victim and the man accused of killing him, because like him, they were also living in Balboa Park.People who need more shelter aren’t just living on city streets. They’re also taking up residence in the city’s most beautiful park, under the trees and in the canyons.The open space is one attraction. So are the public restrooms that are open 24 hours a day. They’re a necessity for people who don’t have any other access to a toilet or a sink where they can wash up and try to keep themselves clean. Keeping the restrooms clean is another matter. Michael was as disgusted as we were to find a toilet in one restroom, clogged and overflowing with waste. Crews who work for the city’s Department of Parks and Recreation told us they routinely clean the park bathrooms four times a day, but clogged toilets are a daily occurrence. Maintenance workers said it was common to find the toilets stuffed with too much paper, cans or even clothing.Some visitors to the park have taken note. On the travel website “Tripadvisor,” 95% of the reviews of the park were positive, but we did find a few postings like this one; “I found there were a lot of homeless people hanging around and people exchanging drugs.”Camping in the city park is against the law, but it appears many people are living there, either in tents or under tarps. When we asked Michael, why did he think so many people were settling in, he told us, “I don’t know why more and more people are coming here Because they think it’s easier to stay here? I don’t know.”We asked the San Diego Police Department and the city’s Parks and Recreation Department to talk to us about the challenges of managing unsheltered people who are living in the park. A spokesperson for the Parks Department sent us a statement regarding the recent stabbing. The statement reads, “In light of the recent incident in the park this past weekend, rangers and park staff will remain diligent and continue to patrol park grounds and facilities and notify SDPD of any public safety concerns that may arise.” Sasha Foo, August 6, 2018 Sasha Foo Stabbing Draws Attention to People Living in Balboa Park Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
Citation: Researchers find proof of global cooling after Chicxulub asteroid impact (2014, May 13) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2014-05-proof-global-cooling-chicxulub-asteroid.html The Cretaceous-Paleogene (K-Pg) extinction event was one of the largest mass extinctions on Earth. A 180-kilometer-wide impact crater near the town of Chicxulub, in Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula, is evidence of the asteroid impact believed to have caused it. While proof of the collision exists, until now, scientists have found no evidence of an impact winter occurring afterward. This could be because the period of global cooling was very brief, lasting from months to decades. In addition, many of the algae that produce the chalky fossils used to study ocean surface temperatures became extinct themselves.Vellekoop and his team looked for signs of global cooling in sediment at the Brazos River in Texas. There, layers of sediment formed at the K-Pg boundary contain high levels of iridium, which would have come from the asteroid. These layers contain many broken shells, which could have been remnants of a tsunami caused by the impact.The researchers studied lipids produced by the microbe Thaumarchaeota. The composition of these lipids changes as ocean temperatures change. An examination of lipids preserved in sediment at the K-Pg boundary revealed that after the impact, ocean temperatures fell an average of two degrees Celsius, with drops of up to seven degrees Celsius in some places. This decrease in temperature lasted up to several decades, a timescale supported by models and by evidence of species migration.The sudden cooling would have caused a great amount of stress on living things and therefore been a key contributor to the mass extinction. When dust injected into the atmosphere rained out, the ocean surfaces would have become acidic, resulting in yet more stress for surface-dwelling organisms.Vellekoop’s team found that a stable warm period followed this short period of global cooling. Large-scale mortality, forest fires and the vaporization of rock would have released greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, causing this global warming. The team thinks the research should help increase understanding of the effects of rapid climate change. © 2014 Phys.org More information: Johan Vellekoop, Appy Sluijs, Jan Smit, Stefan Schouten, Johan W. H. Weijers, Jaap S. Sinninghe Damsté, and Henk Brinkhuis. “Rapid short-term cooling following the Chicxulub impact at the Cretaceous–Paleogene boundary.” PNAS 2014 ; published ahead of print May 12, 2014, doi:10.1073/pnas.1319253111AbstractThe mass extinction at the Cretaceous–Paleogene boundary, ∼66 Ma, is thought to be caused by the impact of an asteroid at Chicxulub, present-day Mexico. Although the precise mechanisms that led to this mass extinction remain enigmatic, most postulated scenarios involve a short-lived global cooling, a so-called “impact winter” phase. Here we document a major decline in sea surface temperature during the first months to decades following the impact event, using TEX86 paleothermometry of sediments from the Brazos River section, Texas. We interpret this cold spell to reflect, to our knowledge, the first direct evidence for the effects of the formation of dust and aerosols by the impact and their injection in the stratosphere, blocking incoming solar radiation. This impact winter was likely a major driver of mass extinction because of the resulting global decimation of marine and continental photosynthesis.Press release Journal information: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Explore further
Pet Fed, a two-day festival, is back with its 4th edition in the Capital with some Bollywood celebrities supporting and taking part in the event.Powered by Dogsee, the pet festival is coming back with its 2017 edition in Delhi on December 2-3 at NSIC Grounds in Okhla and will have its debut edition in Mumbai on December 17-18 at MMRDA Grounds, BKC, said a statement. Anticipating more than 25,000 pet parents and 4000 pets, this year’s pet extravaganza will witness engagements into fashion shows, talent shows, workshops, police dog shows, dog art gallery and even a world record attempt. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfAnd if your pets have some cool tricks in their repertoire, enroll them for the Pet’s Got Talent, happening for the first time in India and show off how well they can jump through a loop, play dead on command or any other such fascinating trick.After creating waves in Delhi, Pet Fed is set to give every pet parent and animal lover a chance to spend two days with these loving creatures who love us unconditionally and to reciprocate the love they deserve in Mumbai as well. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsivePet Fed is India’s biggest pet festival curated to celebrate the love people have for animals. The entire concept of Pet Fed was started by the young entrepreneur Akshay on the belief that there’s an event for every passion of human being, be it music, art, fashion or comedy, but nothing for people who like animals. Pet Fed was curated to fill this very gap in the market.When: December 2 – 3Where: NSIC Grounds, Okhla, New Delhi Timing: 11 am – 9 pm
Listen Now August 10, 2015 This story originally appeared on Engadget You probably don’t think about thieves when you unlock your car, but Samy Kamkar certainly does. The security researcher known for his droll (and scary) hacks has created a device called “Rolljam” that cracks the wireless entry systems used by car- and garage-door makers. He demonstrated it at Defcon 2015, and here’s how it works. When a victim tries to remotely open their car with a fob, they’ll notice it didn’t work the first time. The second time will be the charm, but at that point, the thief will have stolen a code they can use to open your vehicle at their leisure.Car makers came up with “rolling code” after thieves figured out how to wirelessly steal codes from early keyless devices. The system works by changing the code every time you use a fob, preventing it from being used a second time. In theory, that makes any stolen code useless to an attacker. As with many of his hacks, Kamkar’s workaround is simple yet ingenious. Rolljam blocks the remote signal from reaching the vehicle with a pair of radios, then uses a third one to record the wireless code.Naturally, the mark will try to use the fob again, and once again, Rolljam will jam the signal and steal the second code. But this time, Kamkar’s device will re-transmit the first code and unlock the car, so the victim thinks everything’s alright. Since your vehicle didn’t receive the second code, however, it can now be used by Rolljam to unlock the vehicle anytime a thief wants. If the device is placed in proximity of a car or garage, it can keep stealing and retransmitting codes, ensuring it always has a fresh, working one.Other researchers have built devices that can hack vehicle locks in a similar way, but Kamkar is the first to automate the method. His prototype worked on vehicles from Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Volkswagen and others, along with numerous brands of garage door openers. Car companies are aware of the issue, and many have switched to a new system where the codes expire quickly, defeating Kamkar’s system. But he told Wired that he released details of his attack at Defcon to force car and garage companies to upgrade older products as well. “My own car is fully susceptible to this attack. I don’t think that’s right when we know this is solvable,” he said. How Success Happens Hear from Polar Explorers, ultra marathoners, authors, artists and a range of other unique personalities to better understand the traits that make excellence possible. 3 min read