Trio charged for discharging firearm at Police further remanded

first_img…“Isn’t this a bailable offence?” ‒ accused asks courtJunior John, 32, of Lot 60 East La Penitence, Ruimveldt; Jamal Jeriah, 21, of Lot 236B, Albert Street, Queenstown; and Carlton Bourne, 21, of Norton and Chapel Streets, Georgetown were on Monday further remanded to prison by Magistrate Judy Latchman on their second arraignment before the court, before which they stand charged with allegedly discharging a loaded firearm at two Police constables.They had first appeared before Chief Magistrate Ann McLennan to answer these charges, the first of which alleges that on August 1, 2018, while in the vicinity of Norton and Chapel Streets, Georgetown, they discharged a loaded firearm at Police Constable Royston Mendonca with intent to maim, disfigure, or cause him actual bodily harm.It was also alleged that, on the same day, the men discharged a loaded firearm at Police Constable Lester Lewis.Defence Attorney Paul Fung-A-Fat, in a bail application for John, had told the court that his client was never found with a weapon on his person. He further noted that his client was arrested while he was asleep several hours after the alleged shooting.Meanwhile, Attorney-at-Law Kezia Williams, in a bail application for Jeriah, had informed the court that her client was shot as he was being apprehended.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield objected to these defendants being placed on bail on ground of the serious nature of the offence. His objection was upheld and the men were further refused bail.Jeriah has additionally been slapped with two other gun and ammunition possession charges. One charge stated that on August 1, 2018, at Norton and Chapel Streets, he had in his possession a .357 revolver without being a licensed firearm holder at the time. Another charge stated that, on the same day, Jeriah also had in his possession four live matching rounds and one spent shell.In court on Monday, after being further remanded, and before exiting the courtroom, one of the accused asked the court, “Isn’t this a bailable offence?”Their matter will continue on September 24.RecapReports are that the car in which Jeriah, John and Bourne were travelling was intercepted by Police at Norton and Chapel Streets at about 15:00h on August 1. According to the Police, ranks noticed the occupants of the car acting suspiciously and pursued the vehicle.Reports are that as the occupants of the car observed that they were being followed, one of them opened fire in the direction of the Police ranks, jumped out of the car, and headed towards Princes Street, Georgetown. This resulted in an exchange of gunshots, and Jeriah was shot in his right shoulder.He was subsequently picked up and taken to the Georgetown Public Hospital.last_img read more