Purplebricks launches in Canada but with directly-employed agents

first_imgPurplebricks has launched in Canada despite saying it would not be introducing its brand to the country following the purchase of local hybrid agency DuProprio in July last year for £29.3 million.But DuProprio’s Chief Operating officer Lukas Lhotsky appeared on Canadian TV over the weekend dressed in a purple branded shirt (see above) and was subtitled as its in-country CEO.During his interview with Canada’s CityNews TV channel, Lhotsky made familiar claims that Purplebricks would save vendors ‘tens of thousands’ of dollars via a flat upfront fee of $800 for a listing on Canada’s Rightmove equivalent Realtor.ca.This includes taking photos and help with pricing, although it charges an extra $400 for viewings and $1,900 for a negotiation service.In Canada vendors traditionally pay a commission of 5% on the sale of a property.Flat feeLhotsky took the camera crew on a tour of Purplebricks’ new offices in Toronto and revealed that, unlike in the UK, its agents would be directly employed and be paid a flat fee for each sale achieved.The TV show also claimed that Purplebricks agents in Canada are expected to sell 280 homes a year.But it was also revealed that Purplebricks has been operating for some months under the radar; one property vendor interviewed said she has already sold two homes via the business.The Purplebricks.ca site is live and it says the business covers four key Canadian provinces; Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and British Columbia, offering vendors a $2,000 cash-back if they sign up to use its service. purpelbricks Lukas Lhotsky canada January 21, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Agencies & People » Purplebricks launches in Canada but with directly-employed agents previous nextAgencies & PeoplePurplebricks launches in Canada but with directly-employed agentsDespite initially saying it wouldn’t, Purplebricks has launched its brand in Canada although without the usual City investor update.Nigel Lewis21st January 201902,398 Viewslast_img read more

Katharine McPhee Confirms Smash Cast Reunion for Bombshell

first_imgWe didn’t forget them! The Bombshell benefit concert that we’ve been lifting our skirts for since last month will welcome some familiar faces. Katharine McPhee has confirmed to Zap2it that she, along with her Smash co-star and on-screen rival Megan Hilty and other alums of the ill-fated NBC series, will take the stage for one night only to benefit the Actors Fund. As previously reported, the fictional Marilyn Monroe musical will come to life on June 8—one week prior to the initially announced June 15 date—at a venue to be announced. But Hilty’s not the only one joining McPhee. “It’s so cool,” said McPhee. “Me and Megan—everyone—Debra [Messing], Anjelica [Huston]. It’s going to be so fun. That was such a great, really fun—another really special job.” Additional cast members throughout Smash’s two seasons included Jack Davenport, Christian Borle, Jeremy Jordan, Andy Mientus, Leslie Odom Jr., Bernadette Peters, Brian d’Arcy James and Will Chase. In the series, McPhee played Karen Cartwright, a fresh-faced struggling actress from Iowa who gets her big break in the Marilyn Monroe bio-musical. Among her competitors for the role included Broadway vet Ivy Lynn, played by Hilty. Messing played Julia Houston, the musical’s lyricist, and Huston took on the role of Eileen Rand, the steadfast, martini-throwing producer. We’ll have to wait to see if the two who played behind-the-scenes roles will finally have their chance in the Bombshell spotlight. View Commentslast_img read more

Kewarra Beach beauty designed for FNQ lifestyle

first_imgParadise: 27 Kewarra St, Kewarra Beach.A HOME that brings out the best of life in Far North Queensland is on the market for $1.4 million.This Kewarra Beach beauty has it all – a large parcel of land at a whopping 2018sq m, beachfront access and a beautifully designed home with quality finishes.It is simply paradise, according to selling agent Renee Straguszi-Smith of Cairns Property Office. Light and bright. Finishes of 27 Kewarra St are top quality.The owner and occupier is a HIA multi-award-winning Cairns builder, who gave the home a top-to-bottom overhaul, resulting in the stunning masterpiece it is today.“The reason they bought the property is because of the direct beach access,” Ms Straguszi-Smith said. “There is a pathway that takes you directly to the beach. “This family has loved living there. This is the best of what Far North Queensland has to offer in regards to beachside living. Towering melaleuca trees are a highlight of this property. Quality 2pac kitchen with stone benchtops. The perfect entertainer.“Smithfield is 10 minutes away, schools are close by and so are all amenities.”The home is “all about lifestyle”, according to Ms Straguszi-Smith.“It’s definitely for a family that loves getting outdoors, going away with their caravans or out to the reefs or on the inlet if they’ve got boats. “It’s the kind of home where you could come home for a barbecue and have some friends over for a swim.“As you enter the property you are blown away by the stunning melaleuca backdrop, private resort-style living and modern renovation throughout with no expense spared.”The property is also designed for the lover of big boy toys and weekend warriors, with the “ultimate undercover caravan, boat and vehicle accommodation”.The home’s bragging rights include an ultra-modern kitchen overlooking the pristine gardens and entertainment area with custom two-pack cabinets and chef grade integrated appliance, along with spacious stone counter-tops with plenty of bench space. Get clean in style.More from newsCairns home ticks popular internet search terms2 days agoTen auction results from ‘active’ weekend in Cairns2 days agoThe home is freshly painted inside with all new fans, lighting and insulated.All the bedrooms are large, have built-in wardrobes and are all airconditioned.The design brings a seamless indoor and outdoor integration for an open, functional layout with multiple living zones, modern and spacious bathrooms with double vanities and quality fixtures.Step outside and the property is fully fenced with electric gate and side access. The quarter acre flat block is beautifully manicured with low-maintenance landscaping with integrated sprinkler systems.The backyard houses a 6 x 6m shed, with power and water.As for the resort-style pool, it’s a showstopper. It hugs the house with frameless glass fencing.Ms Straguszi-Smith said coronavirus may have slowed the real estate industry but had not put a stop to it, with Cairns Property Office signing 11 contracts in 12 days at the time of print. “They are still buyers out there,” she said.“I love getting good results for the vendor and seeing people walk in for the first time and say ‘Oh my God I want to live here and this to be our forever home’ and to see those emotions.” FOR SALE: $1.4 million INSPECT: Saturday and Sunday, May 16-17. 3-4pm AGENT: Renee Straguszi-Smith, Cairns Property Office, 0408 770 741last_img read more

Disappointed South Africa denies skimping on Games budget

first_img(REUTERS) – South Africa’s government has expressed disappointment at the decision to strip Durban of the right to host the 2022 Commonwealth Games, saying the budget it had guaranteed for the event was sufficient.The Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) said on Monday it was seeking a new host because the coastal city had failed to deliver on the promises it had made in its bid, including on governance, venues, funding and risk management.But South Africa’s Minister of Sport, Fikile Mbalula, said the financial demands of the CGF were excessive, and that in a tough economic climate the country would not leave itself exposed to an “open-ended guarantee” on the event’s budget.He said the government disagreed with the CGF’s statement, while respecting its decision as the rights holder.“Our country is regrettably not in a position to make huge financial commitments given the current competing socio-economic needs and global economic downturn,” he told reporters yesterday.“In the interests of fiscal discipline and financial prudency, our government has considered all options and remains confident that we have acted in the best interest of South Africa.”Durban missed deadlines last November to sign the host city contract, establish an organising committee and make contracted payments to the CGF.Mbalula said the government had approved a budget of 4.32 billion rand (£270.08 million) which it believed was ample, using the country’s hosting of the All Africa Games 18 years ago as a yardstick.“The 1999 All Africa Games are comparable in size, the number of athletes, the number of technical officials and the duration, to the planned Commonwealth Games of 2022,” Mbalula said.“South Africa successfully hosted the All Africa Games with a budget of 252 million rand. Should it be compounded at 6 percent per annum over a period of 21 years, it will amount to 808 million rand in 2022.“The actual cost of the (All Africa) Games is an illustration that a multi-code sport event can be successfully hosted within an affordable budget.”Birmingham and Liverpool have expressed an interest in stepping in to replace Durban in 2022. The 2018 event will be held on Australia’s Gold Coast.last_img read more